What a STRESSFUL day!!
After dropping Drew off at school this morning, I came home and immediately began working to clean up the house before our friends arrived later in the evening. I started off with cleaning the basement bathroom and Zach followed me downstairs to play in the toy room. Next I headed upstairs to work on tackling the Master Bathroom, not giving a second thought to Zach being downstairs alone. When I was walking back from the kitchen with a new trash bag, the doorbell rang. I could see a lady with some children on the front porch as I approached the door. Upon opening the door, I believe I just stood and stared. There stood Zach in just his pull-up and polo shirt and of course a snotty nose (currently has a cold) and leftovers around his mouth from his snack! The lady introduced herself as the neighbor 2 doors down (one I had yet to meet) and said she believed I had an escapee! I could not tell you what we said to each other since my heart was beating a mile a minute and my mind was already going through all the "what ifs"!! On top of those things I was wracking my brain with how he had gotten outside in the first place. I had had to unlock the front door...the neighbor said she believed he had came out the basement since she had found him at her back door. She said he was standing at their door knocking and saying "Let me in!" - probably wanting to come in and play with the toys in their basement and their little girl. I kept thinking it wasn't possible he had gotten out the basement, we have a piece of wood edged in the track of the sliding door which I usually have a hard time getting out to open the door. When I went downstairs, sure enough, the wood was out of the door and the door was unlocked! CRAZY kid can get out of/into anything!! UNBELIEVABLE!!
I spent the rest of the afternoon shacking and crying off and on with the horrible thoughts of the "what ifs" and repremanding myself for being a horrible mother and not keeping a closer eye on him. I also turned our security system back the monitor mode so it dings every time a door is opened (annoying but at least I will know when he opens a door now), and purchased a shower tension rod to put at the top of the sliding door until we can figure out a better way to lock it.
*******
In other news, since it was Friday, we received our 1st weekly report from Drew's Kindergarten teacher regarding how his week had gone. Somethings he needs to work on - but looking good so far!!

No comments:
Post a Comment